Monday, February 16, 2009

The Simpsons' New Intro

Some are claiming that this is the first time The Simpsons' opening montage has changed, but that's not exactly true: the intro changed slightly between Seasons 1 and 2. Here's the new version, which made its debut last night in the first ever HD episode.



As much as I don't like change--there is something comforting to the long-running intro; I must have seen it several hundred times--I appreciate the incorporation of 20 year's worth of material.

Here are the references I noticed:
  • Tomacco juice
  • Mr. Sparkle detergent
  • That early episode when Bart cut of Jebediah Springfield's head
  • The burning tire yard
  • "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man"
  • Krusty's habit of shameless shilling: Krusty does funerals and Absolut Krusty
  • Lard Lad ("Just don't look...")
  • Homer as an astronaut
  • Patty, Selma and a shopping cart full of Laramie cigarettes
  • Maggie's rival
  • The picture of Bleeding Gums Murphy
  • Apu's children
  • A host of new characters
  • [Update: I just realized on my sixth viewing that the black bird has three eyes.]
Fill in any I'm missing in the comments.

No comments: