As much as I don't like change--there is something comforting to the long-running intro; I must have seen it several hundred times--I appreciate the incorporation of 20 year's worth of material.
Here are the references I noticed:
- Tomacco juice
- Mr. Sparkle detergent
- That early episode when Bart cut of Jebediah Springfield's head
- The burning tire yard
- "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man"
- Krusty's habit of shameless shilling: Krusty does funerals and Absolut Krusty
- Lard Lad ("Just don't look...")
- Homer as an astronaut
- Patty, Selma and a shopping cart full of Laramie cigarettes
- Maggie's rival
- The picture of Bleeding Gums Murphy
- Apu's children
- A host of new characters
- [Update: I just realized on my sixth viewing that the black bird has three eyes.]