Friday, July 11, 2008

Yet Another Post Which Mentions Laugh Tracks


Here is a partial list of things which I don't like because they tell me how to think about and react to any number of various experiences, events, or feelings.

  • Travel books.
  • Reading movie reviews before seeing the movie. (They're really fun to read afterwards, to compare your tastes to those of the columnist. I picked this up from Chuck Klosterman, but I don't remember where he wrote it.)
  • Going to Poland to see concentration camps.
  • Scoreboards at basketball/baseball games that tell the fans to make noise.
  • Yeshivot.
  • Laugh tracks.
  • That certain type of rabbi who devotes his life to telling young adults how to think about and react to any number of various experiences, events, or feelings.
  • Advertisements.
On second thought, I don't dislike advertisements. I think they're interesting/amusing. Interesting/amusing so long as you realize what they're out to accomplish. I suppose the same could be applied to the rabbi category also.

Update: Vonnegut knows it's all about respecting the reader.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There definetly is a science to the art of marketing.

Anonymous said...

I don't have much to say, but I liked this post. Keep 'em coming!